Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Taking the Challenge

General Conference was inspiring. Now we move into action!

Elder Devin Durrant challenged us to begin saving and to ponderize. 

First Challenge: 
He said "The amount you save is not particularly significant; that is up to you. As you develop a habit of saving, you will benefit personally." and "Small efforts sustained over time can produce significant results."

I was in the habit and after a severe family financial crisis drained our assets, I had not recovered the habit. So, it is time to hit the reset button!  So, since the amount is not as important as the habit...I began with the change in my purse.


Second Challenge:
"Invite you to “ponderize” one verse of scripture each week."

He also talked about how to ponderize. He created a new word for our vocabulary. In ponderizing we post a scripture a week and reflect on its words and meaning often, throughout the day. He had challenged his wife, family, extended family and missionaries in his mission to do this for 20 years. Then he challenged all of us to take the challenge. I feel it is a great idea!



Ponderize Challenge: A verse a week.  "Will you ponderize a verse of scripture each week for the rest of this month? for the rest of this year? Longer maybe? "



Ask “What’s your verse?” and  Be prepared to share yours!



"Exercise your faith, Discipline yourself, and Do it!"



Ponderize!!!!

"I promise you will not regret writing a verse of scripture on your mind and heart each week. You will experience a feeling of extra perpetual spiritual purpose, protection and power."

Oh such promises! 

I do want to start with one of the verses he mentioned. I also want to select one verse mentioned in each conference talk. There are enough conference talks to focus on one a week between conferences. This will be a way to both ponderize scripture and conference talks. Yet I will be mindful of other verses I might encounter and the spirit impresses upon me.
Here are ten verses I found referenced in his talk, but there weremany more verses referenced:

"Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man."
Doctrine and Covenant 84:85 

 



"And upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass. For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondering them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children. "2 Nephi 4:15 

 



 "Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard."2 Nephi 4:16
 



 "I say unto you, can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?"
  Alma 5:16




"Look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not"
-Doctrine and Covenants 6:36




 "O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen."
Doctrine and Covenants  20: 77 



"Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again."
3 Nephi 17:3




“Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God” 
Doctrine and Covenants 121:45




"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
2 Nephi 31:20





"And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do."
2 Nephi 31:12


No comments:

Post a Comment