Monday, August 26, 2013

Going Crazy Do You Wanna Come Along?


One day my mom was going out the front door and I asked her where she was going. She answered, "Crazy, do you wanna come along?" With that "lead in," life was always an adventure. I never knew if she was going crazy or to a crazy place. She took us hiking, grocery shopping, to museums, concerts, plays, and traveling across country. I learned so much and I learned to love learning.
So, I include adventure often in the form of a "Crazy Day."  I also like to include "Wild Days," or days outside in nature. Why? No child should be left inside and miss God's first classic, the earth He created. I also like to provide a rich environment and exposure to a great many things as a child. I like the structure to come from my homeculture not from early formal structured required academics. I have seen enough shut down young men totally in hate to learning, turn around with the love of learning approach.  Then when they became young scholars, studied far more than anyone who had spent years in the over structured early academic approach.

Take the lead, set the example.  Establish habits and help your children to do so. Develop rhythms or structure in your home such as bedtimes and mealtimes. Learn to love work and love learning. Share that love with your family.  Share what you are learning. Share your enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment