Saturday, May 26, 2012

Scholar Portfolio: My Assistant Brain

I love computers and hand held devices for expanding access to information. However, at the present I like a more traditional, tangible scholar record keeping system.  Having everything in the palm of my hand sounds wonderful, portable, quick, and light. However, after having lost important files, moved from one computer to the next, had hard drives fail, had connectivity issues, dying batteries, and a thumb drive die with my thesis on it, I have decided that binders are my friend. Who wants to collect years of notes, ideas, essays and other valuable information only to have it lost forever, or not be able to access it when I want it due to connectivity power power issues? 


Binders are portable, inexpensive,expandable and contractible; I can add and remove pages. I can fold and slip a few pieces of paper into my purse and later after used slip them into my binder. I know, with the cloud, google docs, Drop Box and other online storage, digital can over-come many obstacles. I still like and trust my system. In a way it is like a visible tangible Victory Statement in my environment. I do not have to turn on a device or access something. I can glance at my shelf and see the binders and the commonplace books filled with notes and essays tracing my educational journey. I designed binders for myself, my children and for Moor House Academy an LDS online private school- home education hybrid. These portfolios placed in tabbed binders make recording and retrieving previous notes and records quick and easy.

When used to help the scholar journey these can become an impressive record of one's educational journey:
* Family Scholar Portfolio (for families just beginning and for children from about four to eight).
* Aspiring Scholar Portfolio (for children from about eight through twelve)
* Personal Scholar Portfolio (for adults and youth about twelve and up).
* Book of Centuries (for families and individuals)
* Book of Nations(for families and individuals).

Would you be interested in any of the following resources: 

Blog posts describing each portfolio and their use?
Live workshop so you can make your own?
Webinars to see the pages and learn how they are used?

Please contact us or comment below and let us know what would be most helpful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment