Sunday, April 15, 2012

Icebergs in My Life?

April 15, 2012, besides being our annual federal tax day (will be the 16th this year because the 15th is a Sunday) is also the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic! On its maiden voyage, just four days out at sea, the Titanic hit an iceberg just 20 minutes before midnight, and just before 2:20 am on the 15th of April the Titanic broke up and sank. As I look at the state of the nation, I consider the icebergs we are dealing with.  A sobering thought!  Then as I look at my own life,  I see the need to remove the icebergs from my life or navigate around them, before I become their next victim!


So this is a good time to simplify! I begin with creating a vision of what I want in my life and in my home. This will make it easier to purge. Sunday is a perfect day to plan!  After all:
Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power.
This is a good time to plan to purge and de-junk my home, my email boxes, my schedule! Am I too busy? Simply unsubscribing to many things will shorten the time spent on email. Could it be that all the errands, and all the busyness is really an escape or avoidance mechanism, and not really necessary? Am I busying myself to avoid what I really need to do? Am I thickly involved in thin things?

Perhaps rereading "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" will help. Especially reviewing Putting First Things First... focusing on getting Quadrant II in place-- those " important" but "non urgent" areas that can help me live outside of crisis mode.

Perhaps revisiting my Checking the Pulse, Family Vision and my MAP to regain perspective. For those who are interested in doing this, contact me about how to obtain this resources.

Time also, to purge narrowing attitudes by enlarging my mind and heart with my central canon and the inspired writings of mankind.

Wish me smooth sailing! 
~Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment